While New York state laws and industrial practices are meant to minimize hazards at construction sites, accidents and mishaps happen quite often. Because construction accidents are often serious and cause devastating losses and injuries, victims often find it hard to deal with the cost of medical care and loss of wages. If you are a worker or regular civilian who was injured in a construction accident, you need to call an attorney immediately. You can learn more about top lawyers here. In this post, we have a few tips on finding the right lawyer.
What can an attorney do for you?
Since more than one party could be liable for the accident, your lawyer is in charge of evaluating your construction accident claim. They can do the following for you –
- Determine who is liable for your injuries and losses
- File a workers’ compensation claim if needed
- Evaluate the value of your claim
- Negotiate with the liable party
- Deal with the insurance company
- Handle all the necessary legal formalities and paperwork
- Take the matter to trial if necessary
Finding the right lawyer
Personal injury lawyers usually take up construction accident claims, but before you hire someone, ask these questions –
- How long have you been practicing law in NY?
- How often do you take construction accident claims in your work?
- How often do you settle such claims and lawsuits?
- Have you been to court for construction accident cases in particular?
- What is your fee structure?
- Besides your fee, what other out-of-pocket expenses do I need to pay?
- Can you share a few references?
- Will you work on my case? If not, is your associate or partner equally experienced?
Discussing your case
As a client, you need to trust your lawyer, but it’s also important to know their approach. For instance, many PI lawyers have the tendency to settle cases and get their fees, and therefore, they may not want to talk about going to court. You need an attorney ready to go the extra mile to bring you the settlement you deserve. Be honest with your lawyer; even if you believe that you may have made a mistake that could have aggravated your injuries after the mishap, let the lawyer know.
PI lawyers take construction accident claims on a contingency fee, and you don’t have to pay the attorney unless you get a settlement.