Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident are usually serious. Motorcycle riders do not have as much protection as those who drive a four-wheel vehicle. As a result, even accidents that happen at slow speeds can be dangerous. Serious injuries, which can be lifelong, lead to significant expenses.
If your car accident occurred because of the negligence of another driver, you must not shoulder the costs of your damages. A Glen Falls motorcycle accident lawyer will thoroughly investigate your accident to determine liability and create an effective legal strategy, so you can win the compensation you need. The following are the damages your attorney can help you recover:
After a car accident, you may incur costs that have financial value. They are known as economic damages and include the following:
- Medical care cost. Medical expenses are often steep following a serious injury. You may require ambulatory services, emergency treatment, surgeries, hospitalization, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages. Because of your injuries, you may not be able to work. As you recover from the injury, your family is deprived of the income needed for paying your utility bills and the extra costs from the crash. Your car accident claim should include compensation for the wages you cannot earn because of the accident.
- Out-of-pocket expenses. You can also pursue compensation for losses you sustained because of the motorcycle accident. These include prescription drugs, medical equipment, home modifications, travel expenses, hired help, and property damage.
As your attorney calculates your total damages, they consider the damages that have no direct monetary value. Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering. This covers the negative effects of the accident and injury on your quality of life. It includes both physical and mental or emotional impacts. While physical injuries heal, the trauma of the crash can affect your state of mind for a long time. You could experience depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, or anxiety. Your attorney will present evidence of how serious your injury is and evidence that shows the impact of this injury on your life.
- Loss of consortium. This refers to the effect of the crash or injury on your relationships with family members. Financial compensation can help you and your loved ones mend your life and start to adapt to a new normal.
Punitive damages may be awarded if the negligent driver is found guilty of gross negligence or misconduct like drunk driving. Such damages are intended to set an example that this intolerable behavior has severe consequences.